[Alexa related issue]Sonoff devices are automatically and randomly turning off

My issue continues to recur despite the remedial firmware, static IPs etc, so I am considering the possibility that I might have inadvertently purchased a hacked item (all items purchased from Amazon UK website) - discussed here:

The Smart Plug Threat Continued | A&O IT Group (aoitgroup.com)

I’m a long-time user of Sonoff products - but sadly, after reading this, I’ve discontinued my use of all Sonoff products until the issue is resolved to my satisfaction AND changed my network/router passwords.

I hate having to post something like this, but what do other users think - is it as easy as it sounds?

What makes me think that there is something more to it than a fault with the firmware, is the observation that the behaviour moves about from one device to another. Ie, cure one, then another plugs start playing up. Almost like a spreading infection.

1 Like

Changed my dhcp scope to a different subnet and this fixes the problem for a few days.

As of today all switches are randomly rebooting again!!!

This is becoming unbearable.

This needs to be fixed soon or I’m going become very public with these issues.

1 Like

Same! The new verdion did nothing

Current version 3.7.3, and still having the same problem,

@danwinkworth @A456

If the random off/on issue is still going on, please offer us the deviceid and the time stamp that the issue occurred (day/hour/minute), and we will check the log and trace the trigger source.

Thanks

Would you please provide the exact time when the issue occurred? We will check the log to trace the trigger source.

Here is the log, every rime that i try to turn the light on, after some minutes it will off, that mog is fr today a couple of hours ago.

Couple hours ago.

Hi the trigger source is device restart.

I’ve attached photos of three of the devices doing this but I have around 80 devices and all of them are doing this randomly. The three attached photos are the most common.

Last week I changed my dhcp scope to force an up change and this fixed the issue for 4 days. Yesterday they all started to doing it again.

Do you remember the date and time when the issue occurred for the device 100025bcc4 and 1001033cc5?

Both of those devices were rebooting last night leaving my stairs and hall in darkness.

They were rebooting at least once every few minutes last night. I have over 80 sonoff devices in my house and most are doing this.

Thanks

Dan

1 Like

Ok - yesterday, I was fed up and just about to stop using my devices, but I decided to try a different tack. I’m working on the basis that my sonoff plugs have been hacked.

How would that happen? Three issues come to mind: -

I could have purchased a device whose firmware had been hacked.

My ewelink account could have been hacked.

There does not appear to be any 2 factor authorization that I can see with ewelink accounts which is a vulnerability.

What did I do?

My router – an Asus DSL-AC68U has two wifi wavebands – 5GHz and 2GHz.

My vulnerable equipment – computers etc went on the 5GHz band and its password changed as a precaution.

The sonoff products all went on the 2GHz band (they only operate on the 2GHz band). I did not change the password. What would be the point. If the devices were hacked – then the new password would be immediately known. What I did do however was to turn on “AP isolation”.

What is AP Isolation? AP Isolation is used to protect the device against attacks from other devices in the same network . With this function enabled, the device isolates all the connected clients within the same wireless network from each other, which enhances the network security of users.

I felt enabling isolation would probably reduce the possibility of the random switching on and off moving from one device to another. A hacked device can be used to hack another?

Regarding the ethernet ports then the only devices which use those, are those which use 2 Factor Authorisation on their accounts.

Since I have only just done this today – it’s obviously early days. I’m well aware that many of us have tried the promoted methods only to have things recur a short time after… And I could be completely wrong about my hacking theory. But so far, so good.

I attach a screen shot of the AP isolation setting on my router it can be set for one band, both or neither

Sonoff basic switching off every few minutes.
Device id 10008eff29

After updating to the latest fw version last week and changing back dhcp scope to below 100 I had no issues until yesterday when random devices were rebooting again. I’ve spent all morning reverting the dhcp scope to 150-250 added reservations for all of my eWeLink devices and even though they now have an Ip in that range they are sporadically rebooting and reverting to the determined power off state. There are no entries in the logs except the official ones when I switch myself using the app

Device 10005018c1

And is this going to be solved sometime in life?

1 Like

I have 70 Sonoff devices, including TX switches and 4CHR2, and some of them have stopped working for a few days now. However, it’s varied - sometimes they start working again and then go offline again. Are you already addressing the issue?

@jcdweeb1706

Please provide the date that the issue happened.

We will check the log for the trigger source.

Thanks

Try to configure your DHCP server in router to offer a NTP server and a reliable dns server to clients. And check multicast settings in wireless interface , maybe your router can set different modes for multicast traffic . Some basic wifi routers only support 32 wifi clients , do you have only one AP or multiple?

I’ve had these devices working for 3 years without any issues, but suddenly they started showing these symptoms. I have a dedicated IoT network from Ubiquiti with 4 access points, so it’s not a network problem. Normally when devices have network issues, the WiFi LED flashes, but in this case, it’s continuously on, yet the devices appear offline in the application. Out of the 70 devices I have, 14 of them suddenly went offline, but over time, they have been slowly coming back online. For example, yesterday, only 5 out of the 7 blinds in my house were working, but today, all 7 are working

It started 10:35 am gmt on 2nd Feb 2023