Trigger ihost scenes from ewelink

Hi all,

I’m new to ewelink and cube.

I’d like to use iHost as my alarm system (among other things). I’d like to be able to trigger an iHost scene from ewelink, but can’t figure out how to do this.

Anybody can explain how to do this or why it is not possible ?

Thanks a lot

It is not possible. iHost is a local server for Zigbee devices. You can control eWeLink’s LAN devices (Wi-Fi) in iHost but this is done locally - no cloud control. The idea behind iHost is that you run home automation server that is independent and does not rely on any cloud service. You can control devices without internet access, LAN only. This attitude has obvious advantages, but it has shortcomings too. One of them is that you cannot map scenes to your cloud account.
If you want to control remotely your iHost, give the tailscale add-on a try. It’s very likely that you get what you want this way.

Hi @jam3 ,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I was hesitating between iHost and the NSPanel Pro which, I guess, can have the different alarm mode changed remotely.

My hesitation was :

• I felt like the iHost was more advanced in termes of device compatiblity and enabled tech
  • But the NSPanel pro was more out of the box regarding an alarm device, and I guess can be armed, disarmed remotely.

Would you have any feedback about the NSPanel pro and zigbee device integration ? I understood that it was also based on ewelink Cube.

Bests !

I have both and use them on everyday basis.
iHost and NSPanel are two very much different things. iHost is a local server for Zigbee devices. It supports connecting and controlling various devices within the same local area network (LAN) of your router once your LAN-controllable devices are cloud connected with your eWeLink account (via eWeLink app). Afterwards everything goes locally with iHost. It means that any Zigbee device connected to iHost is not available in any other way. Created scenes are solely local. Cloud-based scenes are not available in iHost.

NSPanel Pro is a Zigbee hub. You need Sonoff cloud and eWeLink app to configure and controll Zigbee devices. They are not controlled locally.

I see one option. You “sacrifise” a cheap Sonoff wifi switch, like a Basic or a Mini. You set it up in eWelink, and configure it to inching (somelike 1 second inching, or similar). And with the eWelink integration this device will appear in iHost.
Now you create a scene in iHost where the trigger is this device. And now if you turn this switch on in eWelink, iHost will trigger the scene.
I did not test this, but I think this should work.

I did it this and it works. It was kind of an experiment and was never intended for practical use.
To sum up guillaume.ae’s dilemmas, it is impossible to choose between iHost and NSPanel Pro because of their functionality. It all depends on the overall concept and what you want to achieve. If you want near-complete local control of your home automation within the Sonoff ecosystem, choose iHost and be aware of the limitations that come with it. If, on the other hand, you want universal access, a cloud-based solution is a better choice.
The iHost project hit the market too early. First of all, the software was not ready. A lot of functionality was missing and was “yet to come”. Marketing failed by presenting this server in a way that you can still see on the product page today. The disappointment of numerous users stems from this. This does not change the fact that iHost is a very good device with great capabilities. However, it is only recently that the whole story has started to get exciting. Secondly, iHost is by no means a piece of hardware for the mass consumer. It has never been some “fancy Zigbee hub” or bridge. Buying it to then figuring out getting access via the cloud is ridiculous. About the same as buying a lorry to go on holiday.

Thanks @csongor.varga and @jam3

@csongor.varga : I’ll try this solution which seems actually good and with some sense behind it : if the “sacrificed” device is actually a usefull device to arm/disarm the alarm. I wanted to use NFC tags in conjunction to this device, it seems consistent also.

@jam3 : yes I agree the marketing is a bit off. In my case I’m a software developper, I worked also on electronic device in my past, so I have what is needed to understand all this : but still not so easy at first with iHost :wink:
I thought I was investing on a device, that would allow me to set an alarm system almost out of the box, then and only then allow me to set more complexe scenarios both for my needs and to have some fun.

Is it possible to interact remotely with the NSPanel pro ?

Bests

What exactly do you have on mind? You can control it via eWeLink app.

@jam3 : I would love a merge between iHost and NSPanel pro :wink:

My first aim : an alarm system, that I can trigger from the NSPANEL Pro => OK
Then in case I forget to arm/disarm => Being able to do it from ewelink, remotely (not on local network)
Finally, being alerted with notifications, call, sms (why not) if my alarm triggers (a motien sensor is triggered for example).
To be more specific, my wife and my kids need something very easy regarding the alarm system.

My second aim : I’d love to use basically as much as possible what is possible in iHost and create complex scenarios using node red and so on.

At some point, I would like to try to add cameras to the whole thing.

Thanks again !

@guillaume.ae You can create a scene in ewelink that turns on the device when scanning the NFC tag and turning on the device triggers the scene on iHost. It should work. Maybe there would be a few seconds delay until all the scenes trigger. But with an alarm that should be acceptable.
Too bad you need to open the ewelink app for scanning NFC. Or at least this is how it worked in the past.

@csongor.varga Thanks again.

One thing I believe we could do with the nfc is reach the “http in” endpoint of nodered. Easy way would be using TailScale if I understood correctly. So if tailscale is set on the phone, I can write the nfc tag with a url, pointing to this HTTP In in node red and start a flow.

If not connected to tailscale, nothing will happen. So it’s secure.
I haven’t read the tailscale API doc yet, maybe the phone can just have a key registered and we don’t need the app running all the time using another secure mechanism.

Just a thought :slight_smile:

And just tried it, it works nicely

Oh yes, that is a good point. You can create a simple flow with http-in, http-out and whenever it gets triggered, you use a control node to control for example a virtual or physical device that triggers a scene to set change the alarm mode.

Small updates for a very easy to use way on your mobile phone : I found this app “HTTP Request Shortcuts” which allows sending http request (with or without password) through amazingly easy to setup widget on your homescreen.

So basically, I start talescale with one click, then I can arm/disarm/do anything with nodered remotely in one click

Hello @jam3 @csongor.varga ,

Going deeper I am trying to find a way to access node red config file (settings.js) do you know how to access it ? I can’t find it in the UI, and aI can’t figure out how to access the ihost module with a terminal.

Among other things I’d like to set the global context to use a persistent storage, resilient to node red restarts.

Thanks again

You need to install the file browser docker and that will give you access to the files in each container. Check this out: 【Add-on Guide】Volume management & Filebrowser add-on

Just wondering if the use of tailscale + cast would be a solution for you needs.