MINIR4 Will Not Connect to Router

I am trying to connect a MINI R4 to my ASUS RT-AX86U Pro main router. I have an access point ASUS RT-AC68U router which it connects to fine. It will not connect to the main router. It’s not a blacklist issue. There are not too many devices on the router. The range is close. The main router and the access point use the same name & pw. I have numerous other Sonoff devices, although this is the 1st MiniR4, and have had no problems with these devices connecting to both routers. I suspect it might be a setting on the main router, although I believe that they are at the defaults. Any help would be appreciated.

Is your WLAN a mesh network?

no. It’s a main router and an access point router. The device is recognized by the access point but not the main router.
Main Router: ASUS RT-AX86U Pro
Access point router: ASUS RT-AC68U

Did you try to shut down RT-AC68U and see? Is your RT-AX86U operating on both 2,4 and 5 GHz? Are 2,4 and 5 GHz names the same? Are you sure that it’s no mesh configuration? Both devices can create a mesh network and most likely they did it automatically, you know that?

~WRD2351.jpg

1 Like

I took your advice and shut down the 2.4 and 5 GHz on the access point and I shut down the 5Ghz on the main router and it worked like a charm! I don’t think it was the 5GHz causing the problem because I tried shutting both 5GHz down before and it didn’t work. It looks like turning off the 2.4GHz on the access point did the trick, the best I can tell. Thank you! Thank you for your help!

When the router(s) are dual or tri-band and the network name (SSID) is the same for 2.4 GHz and 5(6) GHz, some 2.4 GHz-only devices are unable to connect. This is due to software limitations in their Wi-Fi modules. Once they successfully establish such a connection, they maintain it correctly. So the simplest way to bypass the problem is to temporarily disable the 5 GHz band.
The Mesh configuration should use a single SSID to make sense. Devices with smarter Wi-Fi modules make good use of this and can switch between bands and access points of a given Mesh network depending on propagation conditions.
You can assign different names for the 2.4 and the 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks. Then the Mesh Steering function is no longer available, and your master router can no longer optimally route wireless devices to the best frequency band.
On my home Mesh network, all the newer devices are doing amazingly well and switching on their own. Older and the less clever single-band ones (like simple Sonoff switches) do not communicate with the master router and switching between access points is not smooth. Hence, you may get the impression that some device has ‘sucked’ on a particular Mesh access point. The advantage of Mesh Wi-Fi is that it establishes a unified Wi-Fi network with the same properties and optimum performance controlled centrally. There is no need to make an issue out of it. Mesh manages itself usually very well .

I do have different SSID names for the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz. That’s what confused me about this. Of course, it doesn’t take much, especially when it comes to routers. Not until I turned off all of the radio, except the one I was trying to connect with, did it work. Thanks again.