Zb shortcomings in a smart home

Faced a specific problem with the flaws of zb devices. I’m making a roller blind control device using an aubess two-channel relay with ewelink support. And here’s the problem - to open and close the curtains in the desired position, you need to set the time to turn off the relay in the desired position. I need 5 seconds to open and close the curtain. But since the zb devices don’t have the “switch on for a while” setting, my project is in jeopardy!!!

It involves going out into the internet but you could use a third party such as Olisto. They have timers and Zigbee devices can be both triggers and effectors. I don’t think eWeLink allow the same device to be both trigger and effector otherwise I think an RM Panel Pro and Zigbee Bridge Pro can run Zigbee scenes locally. Maybe a scene turning on another scene with a delay and off would escape their censor. Pretty sure it can be done in the software “Home assistant” run on a Rasperry Pi 3 or above to keep it local. Maybe even an RP2 is powerful enough.

HA is not for me, I am very far from programming. All sonoff wifi devices have the “switch on for a while” function and everything works without the Internet. I don’t understand why zb devices still have such weak functionality and have an updated version of the bridge

Suspect it’s just a memory thing. Wifi and Zigbee use different chips. Bet the Zigbee one has less. Even the wifi version is limited to 8 instructions even now (timers and on and of schedules etc). If you’ve got a pro hub I’m pretty sure it can run local scenes. Try first just 1 scene with a timer, but if it won’t let you use the same device as both trigger and effector try creating 2 scenes:

1. OFF after delay triggered by something else that you know will be true. Eg. If door shut. Add a push notification to trouble shoot.
  2. set device turning ON as a trigger to turn scene 1 on. Add push notification to trouble shoot
    I think that might work locally, although HA isn’t as hard as it used to be. They’re trying to make it more intuitive, although there’s still currently a configuration.yaml file too prominently. In not to distant future it should be simple.