TH10/TH16 resolution

In eWeLink I notice that both the temperature and humidity reported by my TH10 has very low resolution, i.e. for instance the temperature changes in approx. 0.6 degree steps C.

This appears to be logical since when using the TH10 to switch based on the temperature you don’t want it to switch on and off by say a 0.1 degree difference. It would switch on and off way to frequently killing itself and/or an HVAC system.

Nonetheless, is there a way to make it show more accurate temperature and humidity values?

I use the AM2301 sensor.

Hey,

The precision is limited by the hardware. You can consider getting a new one if your home automations require so.

Ofcourse it is a limitation of this device, but why? The sensor can do a resolution of 0.06 degrees. Weird hat the firmware of the TH10 has no way to report more accurate readings.

1 Like

These are just my guesses, but perhaps the programmers wanted to limit the number of messages sent by devices to the cloud, and such a reduction in measurement resolution also introduces a kind of software hysteresis that prevents alternating switching of the controlled device in short time intervals if the user does not take such a threat into account when programming the parameters. scenes…

You are correct that the continuous off/on switching around a setpoint is bad, i.e. hysteresis is required. But this could be prevented with a setting, say not switching between 0.5 degrees up and down but still showing the actual temperature. Without this, for certain scenarios where an accurate measurement is required, the TH10/TH16 is useless.

How do the newer Sonoff temperature/humidity switches work in this regard?

I also use SNZB-02 and it shows the temperature with a resolution of 0.1 degrees Celsius, but it has a built-in sensor and you probably want a sensor connected with a cable. But if you need precise real-time temperature control on several sensors and reliable local control without the cloud, you might be interested in Arduino. Recently, out of curiosity, I bought the Uno R4 WiFi board and was surprised how easy it is to use. I tested, among others, several 18B20 sensors. You can also integrate this board with Ewelink via webhook by running an http server/client on Arduino. It’s really cool… :slight_smile: