Sonoff TH16 Works only in Lan Mode

Sonoff TH16 R2 Works only in Lan Mode and does not connect to servers. Does not show firmware version and not able to update device. Any suggestions to how we can reset it?

Please connect 2.4G WiFi first, and then reset and pair the device by Quick pairing or Compatible mode.

1. Press and hold the reset button of the device for about 7-10 seconds, the indicator light will flash twice and stop once. At this time, please use Quick Pairing to find the device;
  2. When the light flashes twice and stops once, press and hold the reset button again for more 7-10 seconds, the indicator light will flashing fast, then you can use the compatible mode to pair the device.

Hi Erin,
All of the above already done but still have same issue.
After device is paired, and i can see the deive in ewelink app led flashes twice and stops repeatedly like it is connected to route but not connected to servers.
Could be a manufacturing issue?

Are your other devices connected properly?

Yes i have around 40 other devices all connected and working properly

Please check how many devices your router supports to connect at the same time, exceeding the limit may cause this problem.

Having the same issue recently with one of my Sonof Basics, only have 9 switches on my LAN. Factory reset and pairing has not made a difference. I can switch the device on and off on lan mode but nothing else, can no longer setup schedules etc. and when I turn off lan mode it says the device is offline.

Suspect it might be a firmware upgrade gone wrong.

How to fix this please?

This is a common server-level issue. And other devices don’t work. And the devices that do not have LAN do not work in any way!

Same issue of my powr320d, anyone had find the solution?

I can confirm that is a sw problem because the energy value is constantly updated but the app says that the device is offline

Some things that can led to this issue.

1. Wrong WiFi password, most of the time is a case mismatch of the 1st character. Perhaps the other devices were added with a different smartphone where the OS remembers the password and the one failing was typed and the OS switched the 1st password leter to uppercase.

2. The router could be filtering out the MAC Addresss of the device, not allowing internet connectivity.

3. You achieved the client capacity of your WiFi Network. You can check this disconecting or powering off few devices and restarting your router / access point. If after power cycling the router to release connectivity buffers you achieve connectivity is probably related to that.

4. Lately some wifi clients like netbooks, tablets and smartphones tend to default on their advance wifi configurations to use RANDOM MAC ADDRESS, this consumes all WiFi communications buffers that are very scarce in old or home wifi routers that tend to have a capacity between 8, 16 or max 32 buffer entries, allowing only those number or simultaneous clients. If that is the case review ADVANCE WIFI SETTINGS of those clients (notebooks, tablets and smartphones) if you find at least one with RANDOM MAC ADDRESS, switch to USE DEVICE MAC ADDRESS and power cycle the wifi router to release those buffers.

5. Some Sonoff devices that use different chips tend to have different WiFi stacks and different valid SSID / password characters or length requirements. If you can not achieve connectivity try setting up a simple SSID and password (for example short and all numeric characters) and if you achieve connectivity do try and error until finding the real issue. Remembar having some issues related to this with the GK-200 camera, with the L2 RGB controllers and DW2 sensor.

All this comes with my experience re-selling sonoff in my country and supporting all kind of questions from eccomerce retail buyers.

Hope this helps !

Thank you

On the first try i rebooted the sonoff but it last less than 24h

On the second try I’ve rebooted the router.
This try seems to last longer, by now it is still operative.

So, the pw is ok
The mac adress is not filtered
I don’t know about random mac, I’ve to check
The router can accept 32 devices, now there are 18
Ssid and password should be ok

If you fix this temporarily by resetting the router it makes me suspect stronger it is caused by the USE RANDOM MAC setting on mobile devices. The way it works, makes your router assing new IP and WiFi buffers each time your mobile devices re-connects to your wifi network. When that happens, that only device will consume multiple wifi connections. Fix is to check all mobile de devices (notebooks, tablets and smartphones) and put the ADVANCE WIFI PARAMETER to USE DEVOCE MAC ADDRESS, after that is done for all mobile devices, power reset your wifi infrastructure. (router, repeaters, etc). If after this fix, the issue continue happening, may be time to review your wifi infrastructure changing the main wifi router for something with more capacity or adding repeaters for extending wifi client capacity

I think that this is the main issue.
I’ve found 2 android a 2 mac devices with random mac.
I’ve tryed setting some satatic ip in the router but it worked for the first 2 or 3 devices and than the router interface get stuck (wind home&life hub) so i had to remove all the rules.
Than i switched all the devices to real mac and set the dhcp leash time from 1 day to 8h.
And added a tapo plug to the router in order to reset it every week or when is needed. (For some reason after few changes in option or access to it it stop working and don’t even let me to login)
Now i wait to see if it’s ok or i have to search for some other router

Did you have any advice?

If after dealing with the RANDOM MAC setting it keeps happening it means you have more wifi clients than the ones supported by your network. The wifi client limit is by frequency so you can mitigate moving as much as possible to 5ghz band to offload the 2.4ghz for the Sonoff devices as a workaround. A more permanent solution is to add wifi repeater that will attend the excess clients or just upgrade your main router for something with more capacity and taking into account your futire needs.