Mains powered SNZB-06P

I’ve been testing a SNZB-06P and I really like it so far. But as it needs a wire and a 5v power supply, there are a limited number of places I could put it. Is there any way Sonoff could develop a mains powered version that could take 2 thing 220v wires, say from a ceiling rose or a wall switch? This would be really useful for adding to hallways etc where the sensor could be added right next to the light

1 Like

I doubt they’re planning something like this in the near future.

The device itself would probably become larger and heavier, not to mention the way of mounting and connecting the cables.

If you need such a solution, you can quickly adapt the SNZB-06P.

Buy a very small USB charger, one USB port. Remove the plastic casing, unsolder the cables and solder L and N. Wrap it with electrical tape, hide it in the hole and run a normal USB cable to the sensor.

There are also chargers in the form of wall sockets…

1 Like

looks a bit dangerous but might be worth a try.

it is dangerous. That is why usb chargers come with a plug and not just the L/N cables for you to figure out how to connect them. :slight_smile:

basically, if you don’t have a socket in the place where you want to install it, call an electrician to install one and plug your charger there, hide the usb cable under the wall paper or whatever helps.

1 Like

I do feel that there is a justified use case for having mains powered sensors. Changing batteries is a pain in some circumstances, they do not cope well in cold environments and the rear covers can be difficult to remove (one customer is frightened of loosing finger nails). Equally, powered devices in wet environments is a problem because they are not IP-rated so battery powered here is good!

When the current range of products is working smoothly, I would like Sonoff to consider both mains-powered sensors as one expansion to the range and an ‘extreme’ version of sensors that could work in cold/wet/dusty environments that are either mains powered, operate with POE so can run off an Ethernet cable, or have better battery capacity so they could last for much longer without requiring change.

I would say the presence sensor is in a dilemma in power-supply methods. It is active compared with passive PIR sensors. So they need and drain power.

Using main power is overkilled though. A DIY battery pack (3 new AA batteries almost hit 5V) might be a good option for this but I am not sure how long would it last until a recharge.

I also considered using a portable charging bank to power it up.