iHost adding Zigbee device and it is not showing in the APP

Hi,

When I add a new zigbee device directly in the iHost option “Add Zigbee Device” it shouldn’t appear also in the ewelink APP in my phone?

The accounts are Linked.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Ricardo

1 Like

No, iHost is a local host so all devices add localy remains localy.

1 Like

Thanks @mezeibela63

After adding it to iHost is there anyway to see it and control it from the APP?

currently NO, try to create a CAST dashboard and visit the dashboard page on your phone, there you can control the device.

1 Like

It is not possible to use the eWeLink App, because the data has not been transferred to the cloud. But remote access is possible - you can remotely access the iHost via IP or DDNS (You need to enable the NAT or DMZ service on your router first) , and access the CAST service on the ihost on the phone to achieve the function of App remote control.

1 Like

Thanks @Teki

Thanks @Alexie

I agree, particularly as there is a whole tab for security. If you added a Zigbee Door Sensor I think you’d want to know if/why an alarm was triggered by a notification.

I think you can achieve it by installing Node Red as a docker image as detailed on their website. I’ve never used it before but exploring it today I saw external webhooks. You could connect them to Olisto/IFTTT and those allow notifications.

My iHost keeps forgetting it has an SD card though. It’ll probably break again tomorrow.

I’m assuming you want to use a Zigbee sensor. If you want a Zigbee switch control I did see webhook inward too on Node Red but assume you’d need to set up port forwarding on your router

1 Like

Yesterday I received my ihost, and the truth, I am a little disappointed.

If I want to have door and window sensors for security, and when a thief breaks into my house while I’m away, never get a notification?
Is it impossible to receive a notification if I do not install and configure Node-red?

For sure I will to learn to use node red, but really, I don’t undersant the real utility of the ihost if I can’t get notifications out of my house.

I have philips hue bridge and smarthings hub and I can control them inside and outside my home, and the most devices run local.

I got the ihost Thinking about unifying all my devices in a single hub, but I’m not sure it will be possible.

2 Likes

I haven’t figured out a way to do it without Node Red and an unreliable SD card despite having had it for several weeks. At the very least alarms should be notified.

Also my pre-existing Zigbee devices attached to a Zigbee Bridge (not pro) do not appear so I need to move them to the iHost, where I then can’t see them. And the iHost webpage is really hard to navigate on the phone so I can’t even see the status of the device using a phone even if I remotely join the LAN, but then if it forgets my SD card exists again my scenes don’t work.

I also don’t have an Ethernet connection near where I would put a security device. I’d need to connect it over wifi. I really hope they add that functionality or the security tab will never get used. Ditto allowing SSD to attach on the USB 2 port so it is atleast reliable. At present I am reticent to move over to the iHost because of the unreliable connection to eWeLink wifi devices. Zigbee seems solid though. I just don’t have only Zigbee devices.

1 Like

If you want to get notified by a pushmessage you will need a cloud service, but the iHost is a local device which is advertised as a device that does not require the cloud.

Although I do agree with you that such features should be added. But in that case there should also be a warning about the situation where your internet connection and/or power got cut and alarms can’t be send anymore. Backup power and support for mobile phone connections or so could be a solution for that.

1 Like

but you will agree with me that if you have an ihost with multiple door/window sensors to sound the alarm, and you can´t get any notification if you are away from home…
for what purpose does ihost include an alarm system?

2 Likes

It can go beep, however I’ve put it up to maximum volume and it’s nowhere near as loud as my current normal alarm, which also does not alert me.

If one had a video camera attached maybe it could record, but it does seem generally a bit pointless at the moment.

Can also imagine it playing an MP3, for example you saying ‘f*** off’.

Not sure how you’d do that though currently. I think they need a file explorer and terminal program. Guessing they can be added, but I don’t know which are safe to add and my SD card has already broken so I can’t try.

I configured node-red with Telegram Bot (node-red-contrib-telegrambot) to get notified, it is pretty easy to create a bot and configure it.

There are plenty tutorials on youtube about it.

nevertheless, I have tried to use the Smart Security feature to enable and disable notifications (node-red flow), but node-red cannot see the ihost (so far).
or create an entity (like a button) in ihost to enable or disable the node-red flow.

hope those features will be available soon.

1 Like

I also hoped to use the Smart Security feature and moved all of my sensor and ZB lights to iHost. But now I have an even bigger problem, all of the iHost devices are externally “invisible” (i.e in mobile app) which means I don’t get any (door sensor) notifications and can’t externally control my ZB lights as well!

I do understand that ZB sensors and lights now work locally without any cloud, which is good! But there should at least be a possibility to also connect them back to the cloud if needed! I do like the way the Sonoff Minis and Slamphers work after enabling the ewelink-smart-home, controllable both in iHost and from mobile app!

yes…I also noticed that I don’t receive data from iHost on the event-state node

it is not possible to implement a security system on Node red without arming/disarming information

Yes, passing along Zigbee devices to the dockers is essential. iHost is still too fresh (and too beta) to be a reliable standalone system. Its success relies on users buying it to install systems like node-red, Home Assistant or iobroker. Once the iHost is out there, second movers will come in - and if by then the features and functions are there, it might become a successful standalone device. But without first movers being able to use it the way they do, it might become a lost cause - which would be too bad. I really like the idea.

2 Likes

I don’t think they have advertised this product properly. It seemed to be a huge upgrade, better than having all system only cloud based, but this is not even close to that.
All reviews are like “oh, this changes everything”, really? Adding an extra layer of contingency, I’m losing an important feature like the ability of monitoring the sensors over the internet and there are still someone thinking this is ok? Come on.
This is not some sort of gimmick that some geek came up with using a raspberry pi he had laying around.
This is not an experimental device, this has the brand behind it and this should de a basic feature.

It’s like buying the new iPhone and then finding the new version can’t navigate the internet without Wi-Fi. Come on, guys.

Just to be clear, nothing personal, Cliff! Sorry for the rant, but I’m pretty disappointed.

2 Likes
1 Like