ZBBridge-P direct end device limit

Hello,
I have a problem with the ZBBridge-P. I cannot add more than 11 end devices directly.
I have already opened a support ticket, but until they respond I wanted to ask the comunity if anyone has this problem.
I have:

• 6 TRVZB
  • 4 window sensors
  • 2 thermostats
  • 1 button
  • 1 ZBCurtain
  • 1 ZBMINIL2

I have changed the zigbee channel, I have factory reset the devices, the Bridge… nothing worked. Everything works great until I get to 11 devices, doesn’t matter what device. After 11 I cannot get any to pair.

I was wondering what way to go forward, should I get a Router like a S26R2ZB or should I get a ZBBridge and add another zigbee network.

What would be the limitations on getting the S26R2ZB ? How many devices can I connect to it and would it work with TRVZB, since the TRV only works with ZBBridge-P?

The other solution would be to use the ZBBridge-P for the TRVZBs and another ZBBridge for the other devices.

Do you have any opinions on this ?

NOTE: ZB Bridge-P can connect 26 sub-devices directly (10 end devices + 16 routers, or 26 routers). If you want to connect to 128 sub-devices, routers are required, and one router-device can expand to connect 20-32 sub-devices.

SONOFF Zigbee Bridge Pro can work with the devices below:
Router: ZBMINI smart switch,S40 Lite ZB smart plug, S31 Lite ZB smart plug, S26R2ZB smart plug
End Device: ZBMINI-L smart switch, SNZB-01 switch, SNZB-02 Temp. and Hum. sensor, SNZB-03 motion sensor, SNZB-04 door/window sensor

Thank you for pointing me to that post, I searched but found nothing.
So this is normal behaviour.
Do you have any opinion on my options forward ? Add a router or get a new bridge ?

Hmm, it’s hard to say, it depends on what will be more useful to you in the future…

I’ll try the router way first then… see how it goes :slight_smile: Thanks

S26R2ZB costs a little less… :slight_smile:

I recommend adding two ZBMINIR2 devices

Unfortunately I do not have neutral in the wall switch, so using the ZBMINIR2 is kind of complicated. The easiest way is with a S26R2ZB, just plug it in.
I imagine the S26R2ZB and the ZBMINIR2 work the same way as router. I hope no more surprisez :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can plug MINIR2 into a socket and hide it behind furniture. you will only use it as a signal booster.

These are the cheapest I’ve found, although you have to make it up to €9.36 to get free postage. Literally never been on the Sonoff website and seen Zigbee basic in stock. Require a screwdriver and an idea where to put them though.

Zigbee version is €3.76

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EzqjpTn

Connected mine to both an iHost and my brother’s Zigbee Bridge Pro.

This is so stupid.
I’ve previously used the s26 sockets, and I thought I’d add some TRV’s (13 in total)
I also bought a couple of external thermometers and a bridge pro, being as it advertised 128 devices, I thought fine…
The layout of my house is such that a single bridge pro should cover them all from a signal strength perspective.
I got the first 10 working fine, but I’ve just spent 2 days messing around trying to figure out why I couldn’t get any more working.
I’m in the UK, i.e. no neutral at light switches so I also bought some ZBMINIL2 devices.
I now discover that my planned install won’t work :frowning:
The S26R2ZB doesn’t seem to be available in UK format at the moment. the S40/S31 have no UK version at all, which leaves me with the option of a ZBMINI, which I have no use for!

To original poster mentioned adding another bridge, I have a bridge pro currently, do I add another bridge pro, or just a bridge?

Sonoff, sort this mess out!
e.g. Why don’t you have the ability to say add another bridge pro, detect that there is already one on the network, and allow the second one to work in router only mode?
Or just have a box that acts as just a router?

You do not have a choice. You need to add a device that will be a router. I use mini ones because they can be hidden anywhere. E.g. In a bedside lamp.

When ever I look at the ITEAD website the Zigbee basics is out of stock.
These are the cheapest alternative that I use if I can put a switch somewhere
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQ30m2D

Main thing is to meet the necessary amount for free shipping.

Alternatively if you can’t think where to put a switch consider:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ev59p9L

Or if you want the better aerial and think the expense is worth it just get a Sonoff USB Zigbee Dongle Plus E or P. The default firmware is to create a new network but you can change them to be a router instead.

Edited to add: I don’t think they allow 2 Zigbee Bridge Pro together is because they cost so much more than the alternatives.

I accept this is an awkward predicament.

I’m in the UK and have bought my Zigbee S26’s on eBay and even bought second hand devices. They were fine.

I try to put the bridge in the middle of the property and then pair S26’s to the bridge. I then add the sensors eg TRV’s and they will generally connect to the nearest S26 or the bridge. I do have problems with sensors going offline and this is where it would be really helpful to have a map of the Zigbee environment showing controller, routers and end devices. While the Zigbee bridge can offer a visual indicator of which channels are best, this doesn’t indicate which devices are connected on which channel and makes offline troubleshooting difficult.

Sonoff could definitely be more clear with their marketing as I also made this mistake when buying my first Zigbee devices some time ago.

Update: The S26R2ZB arrived and I tried to pair it, but it didn’t work. I had already 11 devices paired so I deleted 2 of them, but still no luck. After this I decided to start fresh and deleted all and started by pairing the S26R2ZB fisrt.

I don’t know if this is normal behavior, but logically the routers should be paired to the bridge first and then the end devices.

I am very pleased with the result, everything is paired, no interuptions. All is GREAT :slight_smile:

1 Like