Paring failed? Read this before you try again

Pairing failed? Read this before you try again.

Whenever you get a new smart home device, you need to add it to your account before you can use it. We call this process ‘Pairing’. There are many different pairing methods provided by eWeLink app.

To pair a device with the optimal method will save you a lot of effort. To help you find out what is the best way for you to pair your device, please allow us to introduce all the pairing modes one by one.

You will also understand how each pairing mode works behind the scene.

1.Quick Pairing

If you have a single band 2.4 Ghz WiFi router or your dual-band router has separate SSIDs and passwords for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radio band (in other words, Smart Connect is disabled), then the best pairing mode for you is quick pairing.

Once the device enters quick pairing mode, it will wait for WiFi SSID and password to be sent to it on 2.4GHz radio band. Therefore, your smartphone must connect to the same 2.4Ghz WiFi, in order to send SSID and password to your smart home device.

That’s why it is important that your smartphone should connect to a 2.4Ghz WiFi.

As soon as your device and smartphone are both in 2.4Ghz radio band, all we need to do is open eWeLink app>>Tap "+"button>>Select “Quick Pairing” >>Complete pairing following app prompts.

2.Compatible Pairing

Nowadays, almost every router comes with the ‘Smart Connect’ feature that allows users to set a unified SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. It is very likely that your 2.4Ghz WiFi and 5Ghz WiFi share the same SSID. (For example, see the picture below.)

If Smart Connect is enabled in your router settings, you may have the following issue when pairing a device.

Your smartphone is connecting to your 5Ghz WiFi and therefore keep broadcasting SSID and password in this radio band. While your smart home device still waits in 2.4Ghz radio band for the required SSID and password to complete pairing.

Due to the fact that they are sending and receiving information in two different bands, they won’t talk to each other and the pairing will fail.

To avoid this, you are recommended to use compatible pairing mode when your 2.4Ghz WiFi and 5Ghz WiFi are one. Once your smart home device is in compatible pairing mode, it will automactically create an AP in the format of “ITEAD-xxxxxx”, which gives it access to your SSID and password once your smartphone connects to it.

Then, open eWeLink app and tap ‘Compatible Pairing Mode’. At this moment, Android smartphones will auto connect to the AP of the device. (Due to the limit of iOS, iOS users have to go to system settings to connect to the ‘ITEAD-xxxx’ AP and then switch back to eWeLink app.)

Until now, you need to enter the SSID and password of your WiFi in eWeLink app.

After that, the connection between the AP of your smart home device and your smartphone will break up by itself at a right time. Smart home device will use the SSID and password sent by smartphone to connect the router and the smartphone continue to connect the router.

The benefit of compatible pairing mode is that there is no need to worry if your smartphone connects to a 2.4Ghz WiFi or not. Pairing will succeed even if your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi have the same SSID.

Note that entering a wrong SSID or password will cause the device to be added successfully but to remain offline, since the SSID and password is sent by smartphone directly to the smart home device. For this reason, we must enter the right SSID and password in the app and make sure they belong to a 2.4Ghz WiFi.

3. Bluetooth Pairing

If your smart device supports bluetooth pairing mode, then there is no need to check whether smart connect is enabled in your router settings or if your smartphone connects to a 2.4Ghz WiFi.

In bluetooth pairing mode, smart home device create connection with your smartphone through bluetooth. The only thing we should do is enter the right SSID and password for a 2.4Ghz WiFi. Once the device receives the SSID and password, it will connect to the provided 2.4Ghz WiFi automatically.

4. Scan QR code

For GSM devices, the pairing method is scanning QR code. As a GSM device connects to carrier network directly, it doesn’t need any SSID or password of WiFi for network connection. Just scan the QR code on the device or its package, the device will be registered in your eWeLink account. Wait for a moment until the device goes online, and pairing is completed.

On condition that a GSM device refuses to be online, you should check if there is enough data for this SIM card or find a location with better signal to try again.

It is no doubt that user experience is greatly improved with QR scanning. That taken into account, we introduced this pairing mode to new WiFi devices.

Pairing a WiFi device by scanning QR code works in the same way as compatible mode. After you scan the QR code of a device, your smartphone will connect to the AP of the device and send the SSID and password to your device.

Subsequently, the connection between smartphone and device breaks up. Your smart device will connect to router with the SSID and password sent to it. Meanwhile, smartphone resumes its connection with router.

Compared to compatible pairing mode, iOS users don’t have to go to system settings to manually connect to device AP, same as Android users. This allows users have consistent experience in spite of their operating system.

When none of the pairing modes above works, you should go to router settings and walk through the following solutions one by one.

1. Check if the SSID of your WiFi contains any special character. We strongly suggest SSID with only English letters and numbers.

2. Disable firewalls, mac address filter, whitelist, AP isolation, and two-step verification.

3. Enable DHCP.

1 Like

If QR scanning failed you can use the ID of the device if you have it (from earlier installation).
Can you explain how to do it?
If you don’t have the ID from earlier installation how can you get it?
If you don’t have the QR code how can you get it or create one?

Hi there,
would you please send the device model?

good morning
in my case it is basic2,but that is a general question.
How can I get a QR or create it from the ID?
How to add a device with only the ID?

A QR code cannot be created again.
Therefore, if the original QR code is hazy or damaged, please add this device using a different method (generally, a device with a QR code can be added in two ways).

What is the use of the ID in that case? How can it be used?

I have having error code 6312 all the time. if I try to add devices using another account, it works. if I use my account on another phone, it does not work. it seems to be related to my account only. I have an Advanced subscription… please help. Ticket ID173749.

Hi, i wanna know if i can pair 2 smartphone devices on one sonnoff device both on free and paid account.
thank you.

Hi there, unfortunately, one device only can be connected(added) to one eWeLink account. If you need to control one device with two eWeLink accounts, you can achieve it by sharing the device with another eWeLink account.

Hi!
I have a lot of sonoff devices and everything always went smoothly.
Although some months ago a few sonoff mini r2 started to went offline. I tried to delete it from the app and repair but the app wont find it. Tried to put in compatible mode but it won’t create the ITEAD wifi.
I have 5 Sonoff mini R2 facing the same problem and don’t know how to solve it.

Hi there,
“won’t find it” Have you selected to hide offline device?

I mean I can’t even add it on ewelink. The app won’t find the Mini R2 and they won’t go on compatible mode.

Hi there, have you attempted to add the device by clicking on the “+” button located in the top right corner? This is typically a faster way to find and add devices.

If you’re still having trouble, could you please provide a video of the process? This would allow us to analyze the issue more effectively.