iHost backup function

I strongly believe, a backup function would be helpful. At the moment I have the feeling I cannot trust the device with more complex configurations and/or docker containers. Being able to restore configurations would considerably boost my confidence and trust in the system.

9 Likes

I am 100% in favor!

3 Likes

100% in favor!

1 Like

Yea, I would also like the option to move eWeLink scenes locally and not rewrite them all. Maybe they could have a toggle to move to LAN on the eWeLink app. Then you would have a copy of the scenes in eWeLink too.

The other thing I would like saving is rooms. I do not know why they are not copied between eWeLink and iHost. It’s not like the host will get new rooms when we buy an iHost.

Docker images I think could be copied by putting the card in a Linux machine.

Backup and storage of system and user configurations are planned, but the current technical solution has not been finalized. The backup function of the system is expected to be supported by the end of the year at the earliest.

3 Likes

This is not good news if the user has a large number of devices at home, it is not an easy job to apply everything to iHost.
For example, a small error on the SD card is enough and the creation of the home “ecosystem” can start again and again. As I already wrote somewhere, I myself have around a hundred of these devices.
I can’t make iHost a dominant device without a backup option.

3 Likes

Hi Rossi14, I understand your concern.

We are currently focusing on making iHost more stable, especially when working with all kinds of TF cards. You know backup and restore can also be boring if the system itself is not stable enough.

Backup is definitely on our plan, and we are working hard to implement it as earlier as possible.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand … that was just a sigh, you can’t expect “miracles” from a new thing immediately after its release. ::

What I can recommend in the meantime is setting up a docker with iobroker and using that for automation. Unlike Home Assistant iobroker can restore backups from sources like FTP, NAS or dropbox. Just make sure to backup and store those files regularly. If something goes wrong, you can crate a new container and restore your configuration.

Thanks for the advice, do you mean this?

I have buanet/iobroker running.
That ist the one I have been using for quite a while in Docker (on a Synology NAS). I now have it running as a test installation on iHost. In comparison zu Home Assistant (homeassistant/armv7-homeassistant). The main thing is that you cannot upload files from your PC into the Docker installation. iobroker offers other possibilities, though (FTP, Dropbox etc.)

1 Like

Thank you for the information !

Perhaps if we had SSH access as root we could make a full backup of the entire filesystem.

2 Likes

Why isn’t it possible to do something like with the Raspberry 3(b):
Make a reference on the TF card, and store everything on a USB SSD.
It should be possible (in this case, because the OS runs internally) to be able to choose between TF storage and USB/SSD storage.
If something like this is not implemented the iHost is doomed to fail(!!!), unless some “hacker” makes it possible.

2 Likes

Until something better comes along, it is possible to backup Node-RED flows by exporting them to the clipboard and pasting them into an editor on the system running your browser. Saving from the editor to a file with a .json extension should make it possible to import the flow later. Not ideal, but it is protection agains TF card failure or corruption.

1 Like

A slightly neater way to backup Node-RED flows from inside NR is to email the /data/flows.json file to yourself. I have been sending the file contents in the body of the email, but it should be possible (better) to send the file as an attachment.

I make a habit of saving all flows to local pc/mobile after a major edit.(export,all flows , json , download)

well, single day sales and prime day sales are ahead and end of the year too so my question is about the availability of the backup function to simply increase the sales cause you can not sell a system you wanna call serioius without ANY BACKUP solution ?

Last months 2 of our PowR20D = elite series power consumption switches with a display for consumption and voltage and counters died - and we had no backup cause we had never faced such quality issues with sonoff devices.

And I doubt that the ihost is made by a better assembly plant and therefore it might only be a question of time when those crash or die for the first time and there is no backup.

9 month for delivering a backup after market introduction is a shame and not the best performance for any serious company across the globe. And I am missing communication about the progress made, where the backup idea is right now or in particular its state. I do not wann wait till easter without any further updates.

I simply will recommend everyone to avoid ihost and get along with other solutions due to missing key elements every system should have.

Bad for the ihost sales in the best sales month of the year 2023.
Therefore show us the current stage, snippets or a video of how it would look like and how it should work to give us back at least a bit of hope cause 6 months is nowadays quite a long time for such a solution from anouncement to market.

1 Like

6 months later and nothing new heard about the BACKUP solution which is mandatory for every serious system, right.

Have you heard about any serious company that has no BACKUP plan and solutions ?

SonOff seems to be the only one selling a product as living beta and hope for the best even without preparing for the worst.

You should convert marketing efforts into developing a BACKUP SOLUTION first cause that is the weakest spot of ihost right now.
Or should I warn all the clients here that they should not buy ihost cause there is no backup at all available and there is no reliable time when such backup solution might be released.

If I warn everyone then people will always remember iHOST = the server with no backup so I am waiting for your serious solution that fullfills all needs !

3 Likes

Hi, I received yesterday my ihost and i’m just having fun, but the 1st thing i noticed is the completely lack of any backup (or at least export in json or whatever) of all the internal stuff… all settings and automations could be gone if this thing crashes… not confident in using it, then…

i’ll go for home assistant and nodered on it for now, having additional containers mounting their same volumes and exporting backup, at least this can be done, but from us, we expect something from YOU…

1 Like