SonOff USB Stick and eWeLink app

Hello,
do you know if it is possible to add my USB Zigbee Sonoff coordinator (used in my HA PC) as a zigbee hub in eWelink app?

Hi moreje, unfortunately, the answer is nope. The USB stick can only be connected to Home Assistant, or other open-source platforms.

Not as a COORDINATOR (main zigbee hub), but you can re-flash as ROUTER and use as a dumb client in order to extend the capacity and reach of your zigbee network mesh

Hi Mario. Can I use the USB dongle with router firmware with iHost as well? If yes, should I pick up Dongle-P or Dongle-E?

Haven’t tested with ihost yet, but dongle-e is easier to switch firmware because you can do that over the USB port, for the dongle-p I understand you need the original Texas Instruments debugger / programmer.

1 Like

iHost already comes with MG21’s zigbee chip, why do you need an external dongle?

I would like to use the dongle not as coordinator, but as router to extend my zigbee network.

Hi I want to do the exact same thing and use my dongle as a router.

I have successfully downloaded and flashed the router firmware to the e version dongle and it powers up and displays activity on the serial interface so it appears to be working.

My question is how do I add it as a device on the eWeLink app?

Does it need to be a child of my gateway?

Does it just route automatically?

Please clarify.

I tried looking to add it as a child of my sonoff ZB-Bridge-P but it cannot see the router.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Probably need to put in pairing mode. I don’t have that router but with mine, because they don’t have buttons, I need to power and un-power them ?5 times. I would look up how you put them in pairing mode. The Sonoff ones also have buttons on the PCB but I doubt you’d need to open the case.

Thanks I will try to figure that out

Yes, router as other device like most ZB bulbs and plugs, need to join a ZB network so the dongle should be added as a child device to an eWeLink gateway. It will then show up as a light bulb device in the app.

I also tried to pair it with iHost, same outcome. If you use HA and Zigbee2MQTT, the device would be recognized correctly as Sonof Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus (EFR32MG21) with router firmware.

Generally, unpair it from a ZB gateway should get it back to pairing mode again, but if you don’t feel comfortable to open up the case for that physical button, reflash it would work. (I am using a Silab Flasher add-on on Home Assistant)

1 Like

Very helpful that you said it showed up as a lightbulb.

It does!

Thanks

1 Like

I think there is an LED inside it that you can set the level of. My routers pretend to be switches. I can turn them ON and OFF. Just as pointless as an LED you can’t see.

1 Like