MINIR4: it is forbidden to connect

The manual for MINIR4 states that “…it is forbidden to connect S1 to strong electricity such as neutral wire or earth wire or to connect S2 to strong electricity such as live wire, neutral wire, earth wire and etc.” How come that the diagram
Screenshot 2023-04-17 095619
from the same manual shows something different. How is this possible and what is it all about?

For me this indeed still unclear. On the MINIR2 you can only connect S1 to S2. On that connection there is a voltage of about 3V when closing the connection.

At the manual of the MINIR4 first is being told the same thing as with the MINIR2, but then suddenly a diagram of connecting a switch directly between the mains and the S2 connector of the MINIR4 is displayed. Please explain @Daniel_Zhan

Sorry for the typo in the user manual.

For the S1, it is forbidden to connect to Live or Neutral wire, for the S2, you can follow the wiring diagram if it is convenient for your application case.

We will update our user manual and thanks for your report.

By the way, take a look at the description and installation instructions for MINIR3. The device is presented as a “New” Smart Switch Solution For Switch Box with No Neutral Wire. This is not true, as it requires both L and N to operate. The drawing from the product page is unclear and suggests that a physical L (electrical) connection to the MINIR3 is needed to operate in cooperation with the S-MATE. This is an erroneous suggestion. On the other hand, the instructions for the S-MATE do not specify at all what the set of terminals labeled S is for and what it really is. There is no mention at all that it is just a type of connector to facilitate installation. This is not meant as a criticism, but to point out the many misstatements and misrepresentations. It’s as if the people writing the manuals and creating the product descriptions interpreted the facts in their own way. It’s always a good practice to show texts to engineers or designers before publication, don’t you think?

From this reply I understand S2 accepts both low voltage as well high voltage?
And S1 only transmits low voltage to get received on S2?
And so S2 can also accept an external low voltage? If so, which voltage at which maximum current usage?

This is yet unclear.
A messy approach can lead to highly undesirable results. I don’t understand what is gained by inserting a switch between L and S2 instead of between S1 and S2. For what purpose was this possibility introduced? There are as many wires, but you need to make an additional split on L.

Maybe to prevent the need of adding an extra wire. Not everyone is fortunate with the ability to add a a few new wires.

Nope, that’s not the case.

Inside the unit S1 is soldered to Lin so you already have live on S1

Any thoughts on the practical use of this design?

It would save a core of the switch mini was remotely located

In what way do you think?

Both S1 and S2 are the same as Live so it is forbidden to connect to the neutral wire.
The trigger detection is only available for the S2, so the external switch will not work if we connect the switch to S1 with the Live wire.

The wiring diagram is correct, you can connect the external switch between S2 and Live or between S1 and S2.

1 Like

The diagram is correct, but the text is not. Rewrite the text, please. It doesn’t say that both S1 and S2 are the same as live. This wiring idea is potentially dangerous. S1 and S2 should be galvanically separated from the mains to avoid risks.

I agree, as I mentioned, we will update the user manual in the correct way.

Sincerely thanks for your report!

1 Like

Sincerely thanks for your corrections to be!

1 Like

sonoff mini r4 wifi.
Has high voltage on L(in) and S1 connectors (AC 100-240V)

2 Likes

Does S2-to-Live trigger applies to all Mini R4, Mini R2, and Mini?

MINIR4 only

Mini and MiniR2 have their own voltage of 3.3v on terminals S1, S2