Control heating on demand with TRVZB

Hello all.
It would be nice if the status of TRVZB (Keeping, Heating) could trigger an action in the scenes.

Currently, TRVZB is not showing up in If this triggers → Smart Device, only in Then that action.

The idea behind this would be that based on based on “Heating” status, trigger a relay to close and for “Keeping” status to open a relay.
The hot water in the heating system in most of the boilers in Eastern Europe are running on demand, meaning that you need to close a contact in case you need to start heating and open the contact when no heat is required.

Currently i did not find a way a proper way to implement the above described scene. Only “workaround”, in my setup is to use a SNZB-02 temperature sensor, define a desired temperature, which is not user friendly to change, without editing the scene and trigger closing the contact from the boiler and force the TRVZB to change the actual temperature to a predefined one in the scene, which is kind of dumb from my point of view.

If this could be implemented, it would mean that you can trigger heating directly from TRVZB, by changing the temperature from the knob.

6 Likes

I even tried setting these TRVZB up in Node-Red, but without any success. So, implementing the above approach in the scenes, would help us a lot.

1 Like

I have the same problem. I would like to start my boiler if one of my TRVZB radiator valve is in Heating status. I still have no solution for this problem!

2 Likes

@StephenJ @yitie @Daniel_Zhan @PeterGoGo

any thought’s on this?

The only good thing about these devices, for me is that they don’t let the room to overheat :rofl:

When heat is needed they are useless … :rofl: i bought 6 of these and intended to buy another 20 for my home, but due to the missing features i don’t think i would …

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed suggestion. Please note this is a device feature, so it requires evaluation together with both eWeLink and SONOFF teams. We have submitted this suggestion internally for further evaluation. We will update you if there is any news.

1 Like

Why is it a feature? i don’t get it … could you please explain for me/us (as a community) how was this product designed to work?

I don’t think that it was designed to have only a really basic functionality in the eWeLink app … and not supported at all in eWeLink web …

Is it possible to have these TRVZB connected to eWeLink app and to Home Assistant in the same time? Maybe i could make the necessary automation from there, or?

1 Like

I guess they can not join two meshes simultaneously. I don’t have those TRV but my current smart TRV can’t simultaneously join Moes and Zigbee2MQTT.
Do you have a device with Node-Red? Sometimes there are added triggers that don’t exist in the eWeLink app. Don’t know if TRV work on NS Panel Pro and iHost yet though. Believe iHost function is coming this month.
I may get a few of these smart TRV but having read the manual and watched YouTube videos they are lacking in features of my current TRV so wouldn’t replace any, but they do have a simpler interface.
There are also more features for my current valves in Zigbee2MQTT than ZHA, or atleast settings that can be made without pressing buttons. Not sure there is anything I could do in Z2M that isn’t possible locally.

Based on this “Can be added to Home Assistant by ZHA and Zigbee2mqtt.” i guess that there are much more functionalities/possibilities then in eWeLink app, which is kind of a huge downside for me …

I would like to have one app on mobile, from which i could set up whatever i need and control it from wherever i am …

Having stuff in ZHA or in Zigbee2MQTT and other stuff in eWeLink is kind of complicated for me …

You can control Sonnof stuff from Home Assistant using the Sonoff integration. Think there is an official integration and a third party one I know of. Then there is a Home Assistant phone app. The problem is that it is a local setup so the app only works locally for free. If you subscribe to the people behind Home Assistant/ESP easy etc. there is an easy encrypted tunnel between phone and home assistant wherever you are. You can do it for free but then you have to set up SSH, Port Forwarding, Dynamic DNS etc. Entirely doable but they provide the software for free and it is cheap so I just pay the fee. I actually rarely use the eWeLink app anymore because it’s more flexible. For example there are loads of non-Sonoff stuff I connect to, like my Google-Nest thermostat and front door and a Zigbee Carbon Monoxide Alarm that has no equivalent in the Sonoff ecosystem.

The TRVZB can be set as a trigger in eWeLink in the next upcoming update. DEC version.

2 Likes

How will this update be carried out? Is it a firmware update?
Can an external temperature sensor be used with the TRVZB and how? The temperature measured by the internal sensor is not always optimal and does not necessarily correspond to the requirements.
Is it possible to implement a boost mode function? At the touch of a button, smart radiator controls starts heating up so that you are quickly in the warm - which is especially useful if you get home earlier than planned or when you just feel like in need of some extra warmth. It would be nice if the TRVZB returned to a set schedule on its own. Right now the manual mode lasts until you cancel it, which is not good for forgetful people.
Why is it impossible to set the TRVZB on the NSPanel screen when paired with iHost? Are you planning some kind of integration, as this is now hopelessly solved? Is it possible to make a separate TRVZB control screen in NSPanel Pro? Similar to what you have done with the websites.
In the promotional material you say that the TRVZB can be controlled by voice in Alexa, and this cannot be done. Or have I missed something?

Hello, I’m Twinkle, the GTM product manager of SONOFF employee. Next, I will answer the above questions for you:

1. The firmware and APP will be updated in the future. The latest update items are as follows:
    Supports working with Alexa (supported by the December version of the APP, and is expected to be online in mid-January 2024 at the latest);
    TRVZB temperature and working status [heating, maintenance] can be used as trigger conditions in the scene (supported by the December version of the APP);
    Support eWeLink Web (expected to be supported in January 2024).

2. As mentioned above, the temperature of subsequent TRVZB can be used as a trigger.

3. First of all, whether it will support boost mode function, because the current logic of TRVZB is: no matter what the set temperature is, the valve will open to the maximum. The internal logic of the TRV product with boost mode you mentioned is that different temperatures correspond to different valve opening percentages. Returning to your question, the essence is to expect the boost mode to quickly heat up the room in a short time. For SONOFF TRVZB, directly set a manual scene in the eWeLink APP. For example, set the scene execution action as “SET TRVZB temperature to 29℃”, click The scene is executed to meet your needs.
    Secondly, regarding what you said “TRVZB returned to a set schedule on its own”, you know everyone wants to set a different mode, so we allow TRVZB’s schedule mode, manual mode, and off mode as smart scene trigger conditions, you can according to your needs set automatic scenes.

4. Why is it impossible to set the TRVZB on the NSPanel screen when paired with iHost?
    ——You can understand that iHost is a local gateway, which is also for security reasons. Therefore, the zigbee device added to iHost cannot be synchronized to eWeLink APP or NSPanel.
    Is it possible to make a separate TRVZB control screen in NSPanel Pro?
    ——TRVZB control screen in NSPanel Pro has been supported

5. TRVZB can be controlled by voice in Alexa, our December version can support it, and the latest online time is mid-January 24.
    Finally, thank you for your detailed experience description of TRVZB. We are deeply sorry for some problems and will meet more needs as soon as possible, so stay tuned!

Twinkle,

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Just to be clear, I consider the TRVZB to be a very good product with considerable capabilities, great design and an even better price/quality ratio. I bought it as a trial, out of curiosity. I was not disappointed. I am now going to replace the AVM Fritz! thermostats running on DECT ULE, and therefore with poor integration capabilities. 8 years ago, they were an amazing invention and certainly earned their keep.
1 OK. I’ll wait.
2 OK.
3 Sure you can handle such a function with scenes. People are forgetful. That is why I would prefer the option to automatically return to a defined schedule. Something like inching. A matter of convenience and habit from the devices used so far. I don’t insist, but it would be nice to have something like this.
4 The privacy argument is a bit overstated in my opinion. There are reasons and I won’t argue. I understand that it can (someday) be done the other way, via Paral-Sync. It should get the job done.
I had a separate, dedicated heating control screen in mind.
5 OK

Thank you for your time. There is nothing to apologise for! It was just a handful of observations, comments and ideas. You have implemented many similar ones, so the user is contributing to (good) changes. My sincere regards.

1 Like

I have 3 of these TRVZBs and 2 are working well where I have a zone with 6 radiators over 5 rooms. The 2 TRVZBs are used on the zone with 6 rads. The boiler is controlled by a John Guest Aura system (absolute rubbish) with zone valves being operated by JG Aura thermostats that do not allow control of different temperatures on each rad as you can have 3 zigbee John Guest trvs with a proprietory system but no more and all are held to the same temperature which is not what I want. I can now use the Sonoff TRVZBs when the zone valve is open to not heat rooms if I want by setting a temperature limit, or control a schedule for a room etc. This is working well for me and delivering more economical gas use. What I have trouble with is getting all the TRVZBs to connect to my Sonoff Zigbee Bridge Pro and I think my issue is with walls that are up to 600mm thick (280 year old house) and so I need more routers to ensure the signals get through. I have left one JG Aura TRV to trigger the boiler to open the zone valve. I want the other 5 to be the sonoff TRVZBs if I can extend the zigbee network further. I have 2 Eero Pro 6 Mesh routers which handles the zigbee network, with control through eWeLink app.

My one issue with the Sonoff TRVZBs is the number of switching events that can be added to a schedule. It is fine if I want to have 2 periods in the day where the heating is activated, but if I want 3 times it can only handle 6 with the first of these anchoredd at midnight and not able to be differently configured in terms of time to start/stop. If they had 7 intervals, it would do what I want. So, a suggestion please, one extra interval, or remove the fixed first interval time and allow the user to set it.

It’s not always possible because of location but the temperature is better if the valve head runs horizontal than vertical from pipes coming from the floor. All my valves were bidirectional so I could turn them. On one place I can’t change the batteries without removing the valve head, because the sliding off outer bit needs a bit more room than I thought of, so I messed up, and you have to be careful which valves you turn. The temperature is more accurate though, particularly the high readings when the valve is on.

You are right, the orientation of the thermostatic head does matter. A horizontal position is always recommended. However, there is nothing you can do about the positioning of the radiator. In flats, they are mostly mounted under the windowsill. This is why the readings are skewed. You can try to adjust the offset, but an external sensor is definitely a better solution.

There are some software glitches with controlling TRVZB on NSpanel Pro I have noticed. If you select a device screen on the NSPanel Pro for the one of the TRVBZ’s as you show in 4. and select the valve actuator from Auto to manual and then increase the temperature from say the original value seen 14 deg C to 20 deg C, the actuator does increase its “manual” setpoint on the actual actuator valve to 20 deg C, but when you close the device screen using the X on the top right of the screen and then reopen it, it then displays the original value of 14 deg C, even though the actual TRVBZ’s actuator still reads 20 deg C? I have tried this several times and it appears to be a software glittz, any thoughts?

Do you have several TRVZB? Is it the same with every one of them? Just have checked with mine. I don’t see anything like you described.

Hi Thanks for your reply, yes I have 15 around the house, I have the same problem with the 4 local to where the NS Panel Pro is located. I have no reason to doubt that the rest will be the same. Changing between manual and automatic and back is indicated correctly, as does changing (increasing mainly) the temperature on the NS Panel Pro, which is shown correctly on the TRVBZ . But once you leave the screen and return you see the original temperature setting on the NS Panel Pro, also if you change the temperature value on the TRVBZ , this is Not shown by the NSPanel Pro. All changes described above work correctly on the Ewelink app. Its strange. I have been running through the NSPanel Pro with a CH4Pro and as I have described elsewhere, there appears to be quite few flaws in the software, which is very difficult to work out and quite confusing. Just to mention all of the sub-devices have been added to the ZGBridge-Pro and the configured devices added to the NS Panel Pro via the eWelink App.

As far as I have experienced, ewelink shows a save link usually at the top of the page for interval level and also after you have the option to copy to other days you can again save. So setting seems a 2 step process or your changes are lost. Perhaps I am wrong but that works for me.