Help on how to use register device on Node-Red

Thanks. And if I figure out how to create one without errors will it appear as a device in the iHost Home? I haven’t yet found an option of room to put it in but maybe ‘virtual’ becomes its own room. Thanks, Eerke

I’m not sure how to answer you, can you describe in detail what capabilities you want to create devices with?

If I create a ‘virtual light-bulb’ etc. do I get to control the virtual device from the iHost main menu (and Cast dashboard) or is the virtual device sandboxed within Node Red?

I can see how it’s be really useful to be able to manipulate virtual devices from outside. I know Node Red can create its own dashboard and I’ve already done this, for TRV temperature graphs, but it’s so ugly.

you’ll see a virtual device on the main page of iHost.
for your reference: https://youtu.be/SK4EtCqhWY8

You create the device in Node-Red and it automatically appears on the iHost as well in the device list. And it you can control is from iHost, or Node-Red as well.

This is for example a temperature sensor that gets updated from OpenWeatherMap and you can see the value in iHost, it draws the graph as well. So appears just like a Zigbee temperature sensor. And I could configure it for temperature only (not humidity).

And this is a simple switch that I can also control from here and Node-Red as well.

I have been playing around with the iHost a bit more today. What I noticed that Node-Red looses connection to the iHost from time-to-time. I need to refresh the server configuration and get a new token and it works again. But I was playing around a lot creating new virtual devices. So that could be the reason. Now I leave it to see how it stable is without adding more devices.

Thanks. Can you Cast the virtual devices to the iHost dashboard?

Thanks. It was the UUID creation step I was getting wrong. I was just inventing one myself. I tried lots of different JSON coding at the bottom and turning the trigger into a JSON object. Loads. Maybe a prompt to create a valid UUID in the Node explanation? Also the error debugging didn’t help me find that error. I will try again later. When I succeed in creating one will it appear in the cast dashboard?

Have you tried creating an eWeLink Cube Palette on a different device so you have two Node Red installations? I’m thinking of there are problems created with the iHost to Node Red connection it might be worth me testing with Node Red on Home Assistant (on a Raspberry Pi 4).

I have a virtual device working now. It does appear in CAST. I’m currently trying to add the EWeLink Cube Palette to Node Red on a different device that is local and on the same Ethernet. Keep getting ‘device connection error’: have you ever succeeded in installing the palette remotely? The setting for an IP address makes me think it is possible but I can’t get it to work despite copying and pasting the IP from the iHost settings page.

Cast works, no problem:

UUID: yes, you need to keep the unique, or iHost starts messing up with the devices and do not update them properly. But you can alwasy delete them on the iHost and created them again in Node-Red once you fixed the UUIDs. I don’t think a prompt will work, because Node-Red has no idea what other UUIDs exists in iHost. So, just keep an eye on those.

First I used Node-Red on my main server, and to be honest everything worked the same way as it did on the iHost. So that should not make a big difference. Setting up the iHost configuration worked exactly the same way on the remote Node-Red instance as well. First I tried using ihost.local instead of the IP, but that did not work. 192.168.x.x works just fine.

You can configure a static IP for the iHost in the wireless router management to prevent IP changes from requiring repeated token acquisition.

For some reason whenever I put in my iHost IP Address, which is static, I didn’t get to ask for a token.
Then I tried to instal TailScale from the community add on store on the home assistant and now node Red Stopped working even though I uninstalled Tail Scale and reinstalled Node Red, so I can’t try again right now. Will sort this tomorrow night and have another go. Not clear why it didn’t work. Is the IP in your iHost settings the same IP as your router has?

In my router, in the DHCP settings, I set a “fixed” IP for the mac address of the iHost. So it receives the same IP every time. It works.

It looks like in V1.12 there is support for temperature only and humidity only sensors. With this I managed to bring in some data from OpenWeatherMap and those can be used in Scenes:

1 Like

I try register virtual device in my iHost and get fail.
And I get this message in Debag.
What I do wrong?

I have failed to create complex virtual devices but plugs are quite simple. I notice you have virtual plug with a colour state parameter. I would just replace the colour state with “Power” or “PowerState”. I can’t remember exactly what the wording is.
Next try and create a virtual temperature device. That is where I get stuck.

Incidentally, In Node Red if you go to Import you can select examples. This is quite useful, as I’ve found with other palettes, but unfortunately the eWeLink Cube palette does not have examples. Maybe it is because each device needs a unique ID and the node Red software insists only on fully formed nodes…

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.